Over the weekend, Joey (my boyfriend for those who may not know him) and I decided to take on our first DIY project as a newly cohabitated couple.
I had a HIDEOUS dresser for the past 3 years that has never matched anything in any of my apartments. The moment we moved in together, I knew something had to be done. We’re #twentyfourandbroke so buying a new dresser was out of the question. So we took to the internet and quickly learned how to do our own DIY transformation.
Three days of sore backs, wood-stained fingers, and endless laughter later — we have our finished product! You can read about our journey below. 🙂
↑ The Before ↑
Our crazy journey began at Home Depot on Friday night. We needed to go to Home Depot to buy our stain, our sander, and a few other things. Joey also needed to buy some plywood for another project he’s working on (full intro on the boyf coming soon!) so somehow we ended up being in Home Depot for 2 hours. After this weekend, I legitimately do not plan on stepping into a home improvement store anytime soon.
↑ Our Knobs ↑
After we left Home Depot, this is where the real adventure began… We headed to the Grove for dinner to celebrate my newly found unemployment (I quit my job WAIT WHAT) and we had some time to kill so we wandered into the black hole that is Anthropologie. We immediately gravitated towards the sale room and found ourselves sitting on the floor digging through their baskets of dresser hardware. We found a knob pattern that we liked so we immediately started collecting a certain number of knobs to match the dresser drawers. Now this is probably a good time to let y’all know that we didn’t have a picture of our dresser, so we went strictly OFF OF MEMORY. We end up purchasing 9 single knobs (because we couldn’t find a 10th) and 2 handle knobs. I was 100% certain that my dresser had 1) twelve drawers and 2) the top two drawers needed handles and the bottom ten drawers needed knobs. Boy — was I wrong. Like, I couldn’t have been more wrong…
I won’t bore you with too many details, but basically, we needed 8 handle knobs and only 4 single knobs and we went to three additional Anthropologies to make sure we had everything that we needed. Oops. Moving on…
Saturday morning is when we decided to get started on our project. We powered up our sander and got to work on the nitty-gritty. Sanding was an all day process, so we started and ended our day covered in sawdust.
↑ Sanding took us well over 8+ hours ↑
Sunday was dedicated to staining and applying the gloss. Luckily, this didn’t take nearly as long as the day prior.
↑ Applying the stain & the gloss ↑
And that leaves us with our finished product. Although it was a lot of work, we still had a blast transforming our dresser. Joey had so much fun that he’s already sanded and stained a few other things around the apartment…. 🙂
Until next time!