Today, we’re talking about New Year’s Resolutions. I know what you’re probably thinking… “Mariah. You do realize we’re more than halfway through January right? How in the WORLD are you just now figuring out your New Year’s Resolutions?!” Well, truth be told, I’ve had this blog post saved as a draft on my computer since December 21st. But I have this terrible habit of starting something, and never following through and finishing. I’ve been this way my entire life. For as long as I can remember, I’ve thrown myself head first into everything and I start off with so much drive and motivation; halfway through my task/activity/etc. I either get scared, lazy, or both and either place the task at hand on the back burner or quit completely. I’ve been like this for 24 years. And I can’t stand that about myself.
Which brings me to this blog post – this year’s resolutions. This year, along with my resolutions, I have a theme for my year: Follow up and follow through. And I’m planning on applying this mantra to every aspect of my life. Whether it’s creating content more consistently on my blog and YouTube channel, actually finishing the web series that I’m writing with one of my best friends, or even just making sure I’m continuing to make connections in Hollywood and finally putting 100% of myself into my acting career.
For many years, I’ve let fear be the driver of my car. If I started driving, fear was always my passenger in the front seat. My mind is constantly filled with so many what ifs, buts, and maybes, that I’ve let dreams/passions/hobbies go without ever really giving those things my all. Well in 2018, this is changing. This is the year of FOLLOWING UP & FOLLOWING THROUGH.
So now that I’ve pepped myself up and I’m more than inspired and excited to take on this new year, it’s time to share my resolutions with you. I’m writing these down because realistically I need to learn how to start holding myself more accountable and how to follow through with everything once I’ve started it.
(1) God. This year, I plan to start with God, stay with God, and end with God. My faith has always been so important to be, but in the past couple of years, I’ve definitely lost track of that at times. It’s easy to say a quick prayer before bed when I need something from God, but I found myself forgetting to thank Him once He answers those prayers. So, this year He’s a BIG priority.
(2) Mental health. My mental health is important. No more putting it on the back burner. In 2017, I learned a lot about myself and how I process things. Through my struggle with anxiety, I found myself learning about what I was dealing with, realizing I wasn’t alone and found many resources on how to manage my anxiety. So in 2018, I want to continue that. I want to continue learning; continue growing.
(3) Practice loving. Practice gratitude. Practice patience. So, ya girl is ENGAGED, and although this is a beautiful time and such an exciting season in my life, I also know that it’s going to be hard. I’ve been a girlfriend for 4 years, but now I have to learn how to be a fiancée and in the next year, a WIFE. So this year, I need to learn how to be patient, how to practice gratitude and to continue loving.
(4) It’s time to start being on-time. And on-time means, 15 minutes early. This is pretty self-explanatory.
(5) Get healthy. I’m officially #sweatingforthewedding. This year, it’s all about eating right & getting fit. It’s something that I’ve put off for YEARS, so it’s time to get into a healthier swing of things.
(6) Be consistent. Like I’ve mentioned, I am a serial starter and sometimes finisher. I have so many great ideas and projects in mind and I find myself trying to commit to 10 different things at once. Eventually, I get so overwhelmed that I just burn out and I get stagnant. I want to be wayyyyy more consistent and overall just learn how to manage my time better.
These are my resolutions for 2018. This is the year that I’ll continue to learn, continue to grow, and finally finally finallllyyyyy this is the year that I will not only follow up, but I’ll also follow through. I’m ready for you 2018.
And that’s all for now. Be sure to check back and see how my 2018 is progressing; I’m thinking this year is going to be the best one yet!